Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Gut Check

I had the latest in a long line of gut checks today - the kind most in my line of ministry experience on a regular basis.

I ended up helping someone today that did not deserve my help. I was eager in the beginning, but by the end of our time together, it was obvious that he was playing me for a fool, doing everything he could to suck me dry before moving on to his next mark. I don't consider myself a fool, but I like it even less when someone else thinks I am. It was hard for me to swallow my pride, but I sent him on his way with more than he asked for, knowing he had won the battle. It made me mad.

A friend once told me that dying for God was something she thought she could do - it was living for God that really gave her trouble. I experienced a little difficulty living for God today. I know for some people this would be considered a very pedestrian incident, not worth getting uptight about. Someone is probably reading this thinking, "Is that as bad as it gets where you live? Man, I could tell you some stories!" But it's not so much about the guys issue, but my response to it. I pray I respond better next time. "He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30

7 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger bedemike said...

Long live The Edge!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Mhairi said...

Pride sucks, not cause we want it, but, 'cause we have it and don't want to give it away!

What you did was painful, frustrating, but honouring to God. Even when you were ticked, you kept it going, good job

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Larry said...

"S---that's the first letter in" Paul said something about sharing in the fellowship of Jesus's sufferings. I wonder how many times we play Christ for a sucker? In that moment you were being played for a sucker, you were dispensing grace. The guy did not deserve it. It was offered. I love when God reminds us how deep His compassion is. I wonder if He might just get a tad bit annoyed with us too? Whatever the case...He gives!!!

Now that you have worked so hard...."Go take a shower!" lol

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger bedemike said...

"B...that is the third"

Reminds me of "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey. A scandalous book in the best sense. It challenged me with the truth about God's grace. He said, "You'll never show someone more grace than God has shown you."

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

and that spells seab or seba! ??

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger bedemike said...

C'mon, Carole - you know this one!

"G...that's near the end; O...that is the end."

Can you finsh it?

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger BrownEyedGirl said...

I do know that one! Man am I SLOW!!! It's the air in NJ..LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home