Monday, July 20, 2009

The Prayers of Childhood

As Camp Directors, Jessica and I have the opportunity to worship with a campful of 180 different kids every week. Our Christian Ed Director Laura always puts a time of prayer on the program when one camper from each cabin - about 15 in all - comes to the front of the Pavilion and prays about whatever God lays on his/her heart.

Some are "church kids" and obviously have done some praying in their life. Others, though, are new at this praying thing, and those are the prayers I usually like the best. My favorite so far - "Thanks God for the trees because if there were no trees there would be no oxygen and if there were no oxygen we would all be dead." Truer words were never spoken. Then there was the sarcastic young man who, when asked if he wanted to pray during cabin devotions one night, said, "Sure...Thanks alot, God, for the freakin' allergies!"

I love hearing the thanks for friends, the good weather, the counselors, and just the opportunity to come to Camp. I like hearing the complaints, too, because of the refreshing honesty in those kinds of prayers. Above all, it's just great to hear kids talk to God. It presupposes that He is there, listening and caring and ready to respond, which is an awesome truth to grasp.

2 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Allison Ward said...

Aw I love camp! I miss it so much!
So I've been at Chinatown corps for about a month now and I've been trying to build up all the relationships with the kids/teens and trying to figure out where they all are spiritually. This past Sunday I preached in the Teen service about Prayer. It was very interactive and I had them each pray out loud for the person to the right of them. I also had them write a letter to God and explained to them how that was a prayer. One of them left their paper and there was no name on it and I read it and got all teary eyed. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. I could tell it was from the heart.
I love that I have the opportunity to witness these teens praying for each other (although some struggled to take it seriously) what an amazing job we have!
I also went to camp (star lake of course) to see their Jesus walk and at the end nearly the entire room was at the altar. Kids praying with other kids. Kids praying with counselors. I got the chance to pray with a young girl from my home corps. It was so beautiful and to see them worship was just amazing. These kids were so free in worship. I have never seen anything like it before.
Anyway I could ramble on forever. Glad to hear that things are going well at Sebago!
Blessings!
Allison

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Laura said...

Brett,
One of my favorite memories from camp last summer was hearing these prayers.
I also loved hearing their prayer requests during the prayer time after Jesus Theater.

I hope these precious moments will continue at camp this summer and many to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home