Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Tunes on the OOBeach


Music takes me back to times & places in my memory like almost nothing else can. As the weather warms and the trees green (can a color be a verb?) I remember long lazy summer days on the sands of Old Orchard Beach, and look forward to more. There is music that says "sunny days on the beach" to me. Favorite beach albums, in no particular order...

"C'mon, C'mon" - Sheryl Crow
"The Endless Summer" - The Beach Boys
"In Between Dreams" - Jack Johnson
"What's the Story Morning Glory?" - Oasis
"Walk, Don't Run: The Best of..." - The Ventures
"Rubber Soul" - The Beatles (Because they are appropriate in any/every situation)

There are songs, too, that say it by themselves...

"Fire On High" - ELO (The Astrosphere song from Funtown)
"Back In the High Life" - Steve Winwood
"Going the Distance" - Cake
"Vehicle" - The Ides of March
"Springtime Freeway" - TOF/The Hearde

This is all so subjective, it's hard to pinpoint reasons why this music does what it does. Let's just say...it does.

Enjoy the season, and don't forget your sunscreen.

8 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I remember when we all would pack up 15 years ago and go to the Beach at OOB. Oh wait, we still do!

Our yearly pilgrimage is always a real refreshing time for us. Hope you are well. Sorry I won't be able to be at the Rome reunion next week.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger BLUE said...

I haven't been to OOBeach since there was something like a Commissioning or something like that. Many eons ago. We are however, going for some reason this year. Can't figure out why but we are. I am actually looking forward to it.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger BLUE said...

Brett this is off the subject but it is with great joy that I looked to the right hand side of your blog and found a link to the Big Red Machine. What a wonderful thing that is!!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger bedemike said...

Edge -

Random OOB thoughts...

The video game was "Off Road".

We owe Cappy something for hooking us up with a van whenever we needed one.

How did only two guys finish off a large pizza & box of fries at Lisa's (plus soda)? Thinking about it now makes me puke...

Funtown Classic...let's call it a tie.

DeMike

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger sand machine said...

I seem to recall a "cruise" with a somewhat insufficient sound system in your car down West Grand listening to "Vehicle", "I Think I Love You", and the rest of that summer CD (tape?) you made. By the by, I'm there all week this year.

Jay

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger bedemike said...

Jay -

I recall as well. The same "Music Mix" is my iPod now. Other favorites from the Mix - "Volunteers...", "Spirit In the Sky", and "Get Together."

See you on the OOBeach.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger bedemike said...

Edge -

I'm in. Too bad Steamboat Landing in Naples is off the map!

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger The Hamons said...

OK, somehow found your blog through someone's link on my sister-in-law's blog - I love the www! I wondered if this was my old friend but didn't have to wonder too long when I saw OOB, Larry and Billy Joel listed randomly around your blog! I hope you are well, my friend.
And if I may say, "I lost my keys. Where are my keys? If you think it's funny, it's not."
Elissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home