Monday, December 19, 2005

Doing the Most Good

I've been uncomfortable with the "pat yourself on the back" tone of this slogan since I first read it.

That said, I have learned the origin of it and feel a bit better about it. I understand it comes from a Booth quote along the lines of "We will do as much good as we can with the resources we have," as opposed to "We are doing more good than anyone else."

I still don't like it (because of the self-congratulatory innuendo) but at least I understand it.

4 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Larry said...

anyone read the phil laeger blog on this? the slogan is not complete in its message. it does not adequately describe who we are and why we do what we do.

we do much good. goodness is of God. it would be good as Dave suggest to remember the message and the source of goodness.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Nicole_Marietta said...

I agree..I still get chills (not good ones) when I see this. If it takes explaining it to get it across...not much of a slogan. You don't see Burger King having to explain "have it your way". When we were given an explanation of why we needed a new "trademark" it still didn't make sense...we needed something that would capture who we are and what we are about. I'm with you dave..."heart to God, Hand to man" no explaining needed there!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger BLUE said...

Frankly, It's about time we came up with a go slogan!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger BLUE said...

That was "good".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home